Friday, June 20, 2008

Now embarking Port Ashlee....

All aboard... now that I am officially with a port! ha ha!! I hope all is well with you and you have fun plans for this weekend... I'm going to the Tiffany glass museum in Winter Park with a friend and plan to read and pool with my roommate on Sunday! 

On Wednesday, I had my first PET/CT scan of my life... I am told there will be many many many more of these to come. These tests will determine my staging and if the mass has grown once treatment begins. It wasn't too bad, the worst part was this milky looking berry flavored drink that helped add contrast to my abdomen. I suppose I should get use to this, I joked I was going to bring a fun glass and a little umbrella for it to pretend I'm on the beach sipping Pina Coladas! I figure anything to pass my time there in a fun way :) The scans went well, they said they were able to get good reads on me aka I laid still for all of the pictures! I will know the results of these on Thursday before my chemo starts.

I am so thankful my surgery is OVER!! I was nervous before I went in and I think I talked my moms ear off before they gave me my relaxing medicine- but I'm thankful they could offer that. I do not remember anything about my surgery, I think it is so fascinating how something so invasive was being performed and it was as if my mind was in another room. The only think I vaguely remember happening was the nurse removing the oxygen from my nose once the operation was done. I am only in a little pain but I am very protective of the right side of my body so don't get too close...or else...ha ha!!

I was able to reschedule my scan that was suppose to be today to Monday, to give my body a little bit of a break. After this week, I am not worried about what they will do to me... I mean common I was radioactive, I had two IVs, I was cut me open and stitched up, I have an implant, and I am pretty sure weeks to come will be a cake walk in comparison to all of that. 

The down side to my week is I am absolutely exhausted. I am struggling to sleep through the night but I think it is my thoughts wandering that is getting the best of me. Anyhow when I wake up I am productive to tire myself out and then finish my nights sleep. Otherwise, I feel well just a little sore on my shoulder where my Port is and am ready for Thursday to be hear so I can start the fight!!

Thank you for prayers, positive thoughts, and kind words...I feel them in ways I never imagined I could and I am so grateful for all of the support! Have a great weekend...

Thankfully Yours,
Ashlee 

13 comments:

Lori Mitchell :) said...

Hey Cous!
I'm so glad to hear that your surgery went well :) It is really scarey being under, but the good thing is when you wake up its over & you had no idea what happend in the room nor how long it took! It must run in the family being nervous before surgery- b/c I was freakin about my ankle! They say the first three days are icky because of the meds but then you start to feel better :) They were right.. I'm sending my healing power!!!
Lots of love & sorry Leonard isn't around for a comment of the day for you :) MUAH~LORI XOXOXO

Adam & Michelle said...

Your hair looks soooooooooooo cute! Chelle says she thinks it looks like a doll.

Love Ya!
-Big Bro

Anonymous said...

Love your hair. Glad the port implant is out of the way. You are courageous, we sending prayers your way
love
Karen Ducker

Anonymous said...

Hey Ash! Glad to hear you are in good spirits! You should really read Eckhart Tolle's "The Power of Now" and "A New Earth" if you haven't already. They're great reads! My mom still has her port in even though all of her treatment is done and she doesn't even feel it--so that feeling will go away! I bet it feels pretty silly. What great innovations we have these days, huh?!

Anonymous said...

Hey Ashlee,
I'm so glad that everything went so well! I hope that like you said, everything else will just be a cake walk. I love this blog thing so I can see how my cousin is doing! Your hair looks adorable! Well good luck with everything and talk to you soon!
Love, Lindsay Adams

Anonymous said...

Hi Ashlee,
This is the second time I am posting. Don’t know what happened to the first, but it must be floating about in cyber space. More likely I messed something up and it didn’t go through, lol.
Ashlee you don’t know me. My name is Karin & I am a friend of Ciarra’s Mom.
Wanted to tell you that your hair cut is adorable and you are a gorgeous young lady ! Don’t stress out over your hair falling out, it will grow back better than ever. I shaved mine off when it started to come out by the handful. Took my dog clippers and off it came. Have fun with your wigs. You can be some one else any time you want to !
I admire your attitude and I am telling you, it is half the battle! Like you said yourself: “a bump in the road”. You’ll have days where you’ll feel down, especially once you’re on the chemo. Don’t beat yourself up over it, just come back fighting.
I went through the same thing last year, as what you are tackling right now. My last chemo was last Sept. Then they gave me radiation. I feel glowingly well, might be from the radiation ha-ha. My last cat-scan (last week) showed no signs of any cancer. You will get to that point too. By your brave attitude I just know you are going to fight this successfully !
I think you said they are starting chemo this coming Thursday. It is a cinch with the port ( I have mine still in too). Hope you will tolerate the treatments well, I will be thinking of you and checking on you through your blog.
Sending you many good wishes and good thoughts for a successful outcome. Stay tuff, hang in there, you will be well again !
Big Hugs & Love……..Karin

Anonymous said...

hey ash! yay for surgery being over! :o) your hair is absolutely gorgeous! you look awesome! i love it! i know thurs is coming soon and im sure your nervous...but everything will be ok! i love u and there are constant prayers! nick and I are always thinking of u!

Bumblebee said...

Hey Ashley!

Hope you don't mind that Adam shared your blog with me. Your blog is great and you are amazing. You are in my family's thoughts and prayers!!!

XOXO,
Debbie

PS - LOVE the new do!

Denise Fox said...

Hi Ash,

Hope this finds you doing well. I am glad you did well with your port. Your attitude is amazing and keep it up Born-in-Ohio-Girl!!!Larry sends his love!!
Love Ya,
Denise

Susan said...

I'm glad your surgery went well! Your hair is amazing. You make short curly hair look sheek and fabulous. Not everyone can pull that off (speaking from experience). I'm sure you will look great in any wig you decide to wear because when I look at you I always see that amazing smile first anyway. The hair is just an accessory. I love reading your blog to stay in touch with you. Your strength is amazing! It reminds of me of this little girl I used to babysit. I would put her to bed in her crib and then go watch TV in the living room. She was so resourceful (and Rebelous) that she would always end up on the couch next to me. I wandered how she could climb out of that crib and not get injured. I didn't realize at the time (but know now)that she would turn into a strong,amazing woman with such determination. Keep Smiling, your cousin Susan in OHIO. :-)

MOM & DAD said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
MOM & DAD said...

The eve of your first chemo treatment?! It has been a long and emotional few weeks!! Your strength and determentation, Ashe, amaze me!!! I am very proud of you!!!!

I love you,
MOM

xoxox

Stephanie said...

Ashlee,

everyone is right, your hair looks fabulous. You are in my thoughts today, and I hope everything goes smoothly. Hang in there, you are such a strong person!

Love, Stephanie